If you play enough casual sports you may take the term “Pickup” for granted.
For the newly initiated athlete…What does pickup mean in the Ultimate frisbee world?
WHAT IS PICKUP?
- They are casual games of Ultimate!
- Players of any skill level are welcome — rookies & newbies included!
- Pickup is open to public — Membership is NOT required
- They are great venues to improve your skills
- They are great places to introduce yourself to the Ultimate community.
To get in a game, call “Last Back” and get on the line of the receiving team after a point.
What to bring
- plenty of water
- cleated shoes (aka soccer boots) or trainers…highly recommended!
- both a white and a dark shirt (please, NO GREY shirts. Grey is neither)
The Rules of Ultimate Frisbee.
We’re seeing many new (not necessarily beginners) faces at pickups recently…that’s great!!
Just a gentle reminder for some positive habits at pickups (also applicable in other occasions, even tourneys) …please:
- Bring discs (duh!!), so you can practise your throws while waiting for your turn on the sidelines (No discs? Ask, beg/borrow)
- Bring BOTH a white and a dark top (to distinguish teams, allocate/balance players)
- Introduce yourselves, mix around, get to know other players, create a friendly conducive atmosphere (quality of play and courtesy/etiquette are not mutually exclusive).
- Be accommodating towards beginners
- While there are no ‘referees’, the sidelines and other players can usually be relied upon as a check for your conscience. If not, seek the ONE
- Note that witty/satiric/ironic “heckling” and “trash-talking” are highly valued in Ulty culture.
- clear your trash (in every sense)
- HAVE FUN!
(thanks to Singapore Ultimate for these lists)